It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Important announcement!!! 

Post Re: Important announcement!!!
Nerull wrote:
Katie wrote:
Your work is protected under fair use. Other artists like yourself do the same thing and none of their work has been shut down. I understand you're worried, you have come such a long way with your work since the beta quest you released so many years ago to find a flower and give it to a druid. I think you should at least try it. You deserve more donations for your work and it would reach a wider audience who will fall in love with your game like we all did.

Excuse me but this is easy naive think
Patreon does not protect you in any way
so times it gives the kstster today to know nciht whether what they do on Patreon is really in order
but they do so again as long as it goes

Oh, I'm not talking about Patreon protecting her work, but I am saying under U.S. Law at the very least I believe her work is protected under fair use. However what constitutes fair use is still a gray area so I am not 100%. I am basing this on what I have seen on Patreon now for a couple years and those artists work whom I also donate to have been safe with no take downs issued. I can't speak for everyone, but I have donated to Auril since the very beginning , and while I support her change of donations to monthly I wouldn't be able to donate monthly because of the services offered to donate can be a hassle. For example; I have to call my bank and tell them to lift restrictions on my account so I can donate or send money to another country. And the restriction is only lifted for 10 minutes until it is put back in place and then I need to call again. Patreon is an easy to use service which will allow more people to donate to Auril, also it will allow her to continue to do what she enjoys while receiving a steady "income" from us.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 pm

I think Patreon is the better option, I know for myself; I use reputable mastercards and the above payment methods with the exception of paypal don't work. I support many projects on Patreon that use the "parody" format and they have never had issues. Auril I believe should go to Patreon it would garner her much more traffic and income. Someone with the quality of work she does would probably be a $10,000+ a month project in less than a years time if not sooner.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Patreon for the most part is the reliable option. I've used it since January of this year and it's system is simple so i never forget to resubscribe as it does it for me, something i feel i would forget to do with the proposed system. Patreon also would allow you to keep everyone up to date with wip pics and stills, very much like what you're currently doing on the tumblr page. I can understand the uncertainty of a big company filing a complaint if it gets to large, however a great deal of the content already on patreon uses material from companies such as blizzard so you should be in the clear. If you really wanted to you could limit the amount of patreons you have to stop it getting to large and too exposed. Either way it's up to you in the end and i'm sure most people will accept your decision, for the most part i just think patreon is a better 'ease of access' option.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:09 am

I just donated through Paysite-Cash. Been meaning to donate for a long time because i really love your work.

What happens next though? I'm not in a rush to get that tag, just wondering how you identify my donation.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:18 am

Katie wrote:
lecran wrote:
Actually, Auril is right and Patreon is a bad idea as is...and no, her work doesn't fall under fair use in the current format. If she made only animations/pics/movies and possible small java games, that would be ok-ish which is why some do and are just fine on patreon, but the way it is now as a game, because she uses assets that belong to Blizz, I'm absolutely certain that the page will get taken down. Can always ask, but I doubt that it will be allowed.

She could try and just make a patreon for the things I mentioned (anims/pics etc) and then, ahem, have the game as a "bonus" on the side :lol: without saying anything about it on patreon, and they also have their own API, so you should be able to link your supporters there with the website here and run it at the same time so you know who donated and whatnot..

But those gifs, videos, images and small games use in-game assets. I don't really see how her game isn't protected under fair use. Other patreon artists rip in-game assets, like Studio FOW and they are fine. I believe Aurils work is safe because some of her models are updated or changed by other artists, they aren't 100% ripped from WoWs in-game models.

I may be wrong on this, but I think I read that Studio FOW got into big trouble with Blizzard when they released their video with Yrel in it and they had to pull it. I don't even think you can find it on their site.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:25 am

This is a great idea !!!
I immediately decided to support her, thereby sacrificing 5€. Now I need to understand how to become a VIP :)

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:44 am

I know I was the first to bring up the Patreon idea because I'm also used to it, but it's really not gonna happen.

Speculations and misinformation aside, you need to understand that Auril is making direct use of Blizz's assets to make the game, which is a very good idea as it offers a better immersion, HOWEVER, the game does not fall under fair use because of that. There's a big difference between pics/gifs/movies and a full out game that uses another company's assets.

I'd be the first to jump on Patreon and donate if she ever decides to use it, but as it stands, she can't. The one thing she might be able to do however, is what I previously said, and that's to make a Patreon just for pics/gifs/movies then have the game as a side thing here, where she can connect the accounts of people who donate there, to this website, although it might take some work.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:00 am

Well, i've try to donate but OkPay say "The Merchant is not verified." this is the only way i can support you cause i got no credit card...
Any ideas about that?

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:19 pm

I am willing to support you, but i can't find you Paypal donate link :|

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Wiedel wrote:
I am willing to support you, but i can't find you Paypal donate link :|

Next time just write in this topic that you would like to support Auril via Paypal.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next